Spectacular Colours of the Kimberley | An Australian Landscape Photography Adventure

Andrew Marr

Mar 13, 2021


Some photography adventures can be a short trip just around the corner from where you live. Others can be an adventure in the true sense of the word, months of planning, serval days of travel involved to get there for a couple of weeks of landscape photography.

One of the best things about Western Australia is the array of unique landscapes we have in this great state. The biggest challenge can be the sheer effort it takes to get there. In this week's photography vlog, I drive for three days from Perth to the spectacular Kimberley region of WA. I travel up with Jarrod Parker, and the two of us meet up with Matt Fieldes. Both fantastic photographers in their own right. You should check out their Instagram feeds.

After grabbing a few supplies in Broome, we all heading north to camping above the red cliffs looking out towards the sea across one of the gorgeous beaches in Northwest near Barred Creek. It took a while before I could dial my eye into what this landscape offered in terms of compositions. While there wasn't much in the way of clouds reflecting the sunset colours, I looked for elements on the beach to create foreground interest in the image.

As the tide moved in quickly, I retreated up the beach and focused my attention on the amazing textures and patterns created in the sands by the water draining out to sea. The challenge was to make sense of the patterns caused by the water. To simply the chaos, I created a composition where two of the deeper veins lined up with the image's vertical thirds. Camera settings with a shutter speed of 6 second, I ended up with a long exposure image with an interesting effect.

Comments

Total Pageviews