Landscape Photography: Gary Gough - Fine Art v's Photography what's your thoughts?

Gary Gough
Published on Jun 20, 2019

Fine Art v's Photography?  In this video, I discuss a heavily manipulated picture I took last week. Art or Photograph? maybe it's neither?
Last week I was shooting at various locations around Anglesey in Wales. I visited a location I was quite excited to shoot, the Boat wrecks at Dulas Bay. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. I wasn't over armored by the positioning of the boat relative to the background. I didn't want to take the same old shots that everyone else takes so I had an idea. What about a composite?

I shot the actual sky and horizon which was located off to the left of the wreck and simply combined it with the original picture of the boat. Whilst neither image was great after a few tweaks in post-production the end result looked really good.
Art v's Photography - This is my question for you... Is this art or is it Cheating? Surely it's ok if I'm honest with the viewer, isn't it? Maybe I shouldn't have to worry about what other people think?
For the record, I uploaded the boat picture to my Instagram account and it gained 755 "likes" in 12 hours. It's currently at over 900 "likes" and it hasn't been live for a day yet. Surely if the Instagram people like it that's good enough?

Discussing Art v's Photography is always a great debate so please share your thoughts in the comments. I bet some of you don't hold back 🤷‍♀️
Enjoy the video
COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME!
THANK YOU
Gary

Comments

Total Pageviews