Landscape Photography: Gary Gough - SS Nornen - Battling the tide

Gary Gough
Published on Mar 30, 2019

Photographing the SS Nornen - Battling the tide. In this video, I battle against mother nature - Guess who won?
Last week I travelled to Burnham on Sean to shoot a couple of locations, one of which was the famous wreck of the SS Nornen. I wasn't disappointed. The wreck was much bigger than I had imagined. Despite the rain, I soon hatched a plan to photograph the wreck at sunset. It's more of a sunset shot but if I calculated my timings right I could potentially have a cracking shot on my hands. So how did I fair?...

The SS Nornen is a Norwegian Barque which foundered around the 3rd March 1897
The rescue of ten crewmembers from the stricken ship was recalled at a history meeting on Friday night (March 3rd), exactly 120 years to the day when it ran aground.
Burnham historian John Strickland recounted how during the early part of March 1897 a howling south-westerly gale swept up the Bristol Channel, bringing with it high seas, driving snow and sleet.
Many ships soon found themselves in distress, among them the Norwegian barque SS Nornen which had tried out to ride out the storm in the lee of the Lundy Roads but had found her anchors dragging.
The ship was being driven towards Berrow’s mud flats, and the crew desperately tied to save her but were fighting a losing cause.

In the early hours of the morning on March 3rd, the crippled ship was spotted just off Gore Sands, her sails blown to rags by the gale.

THANK YOU
Gary

Comments

Total Pageviews